Natural disasters are unavoidable. No one till date has been able to predict a natural calamity, and the best that the human race has done is to cope with the after effects of the disaster. Though it is true that natural disasters can tear our lives apart, and there have are no clear cuts way out from them. With little smartness and some effective measures, you can save yourself from the hazardous effects of natural disasters.
In this article, we have mentioned some simple tips to enable people to prepare to combat natural disasters and limit their effects.
- Depending on where you live, the type of natural disaster would differ from place to place. While disasters like cyclones and tornado are more frequent in areas closer to the sea, places far from the sea might face drought, flood, earthquake, volcanic eruption etc. So while preparing for a disaster management program, it is essential to list out the sort of natural disaster that are predominant in that area.
- Once you get to know the type of natural disaster, consult or hire a professional while building your house. Professional structural engineers will not only inform you about superior quality building materials, but also help you conduct a soil test so as to know how prone the area is to a certain disaster.
- The foundation of a house must be given the utmost importance. The material of the foundation must be of superior quality water resistant, strong and sturdy. Deep foundations are advised, as they do not get affected by external factors like soil erosion and stuff and also has a stronger grip on the building.
- When it comes to consider the indoors of the house, it is very essential to not store large or heavy objects on open shelves at taller heights which can be prone to falling easily.
- Attend to all the breaks and cracks occurred in the house at the earliest, as no doing so will pose huge threats to life during times of hardships. Mend the loose hinges, repair the broken windows, fix the cracks on the wall without any delay. Doing so will eliminate any additional mess up during an impending disaster.
- While building the house, keep in mind that the staircase or the exit route is easily accessible and not blocked. All the rooms of the house must be in vicinity of the emergency exit.
- In flood prone areas, houses must be built on a raised platform. Also, it is common for all the disaster-prone areas that all the valuables of the household must be locked and kept safe. Valuables like jewelry, legal papers, currency etc. can be kept in banks or with insurance agencies.
- Lastly, if you reside in an area that has a frequent history of disasters, it is advisable for you to prepare a pair of ‘disaster kit’ for the difficult times. This kit may include stuff like blankets, packaged food, battery lights, rechargeable batteries and extra pair of clothes.
Disasters do not come by notice, but if we follow certain strategies, the harm associated with it will reduce to a great extent. Comment if you liked what you read.